Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rise to the Occasion


It used to be when I woke up in the morning, my first thoughts were along the lines of, "What will the day bring me today?" Or even better, "What circle of Hell will I find myself in today?"

That attitude helped to absolve me of any and all responsibility for the events of the day, how I responded, how I felt about it afterwards.

I was the victim. I was just floating along and things randomly happened to me. If only I could be left alone, I thought, without all of these outside influences, my life would be perfect.

But after my life turned upside down a year and a half ago, I've come to realize that I make my own path. I set myself up for positive or negative experiences because of what I take in to them. I can't control events that come to me, but I can control my reactions and feelings toward them.

So now, when I wake and see the sun rising, my question is, "What will I bring to the day, today?" Or even better, "Will I make a difference, even if only for a moment, in the life of someone else?"