Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

What's Up with the Readers at Glamour?

There is a women's publication by the name of Glamour Magazine that is published in the UK that has recently caught my eye. Why, you may ask? Could it be because of that "u" which is awkwardly placed in the word Glamor? Of course not, dear reader. That "u" is there because it is a British magazine, and everyone knows the Brits have the most awkward spelling patterns ever. Cases in point colour, labour, sour...all victims of that extra "u". Well, ok, maybe not sour, but you get my point.

A few days ago, Glamour released results of their "50 sexiest men" survey, and I was surprised to see that teen pop singer Justin Bieber came in at number 7. Now, perhaps I am being an old prude, but it seems to me that a 16 year old should not have been included in a sexiest men poll. He's not a man; he's a kid.

It reminds me of the Grammy awards several years ago when Lionel Ritchie won so many awards, even taking home Best Male Vocalist. That particular Grammy show has stuck with me because whoever was in charge of it had included a new category that year: Best Black Male Vocalist. Ritchie won that award. Then came Best Male Vocalist. The nominees were all white guys and Lionel Ritchie. Ritchie won that one also. I remember thinking, why was there no Best White Male Vocalist category if there was a Best Black Male category? Or was the Best Male supposed to just be the white guys? And if so, why was Ritchie included in that as well? It was all very odd and I remember there being a bit of a stink for days after.

This is sort of like that. Glamour is not a teen magazine; from what I saw, it is geared towards adults. So then, if adult women (presumably) were the ones voting/nominating for sexiest man, why would a teenager be included in that? I just find that a bit weird. After all, I get no sense of "man-ness" from Bieber at all; he just doesn't project that sense of maturity and confidence that I associate with men. His being barely 16 certainly accounts for that. And not that I am suggesting that is a bad thing, mind you. I just think that he would be precluded from being in a poll about "sexy men".


If I were identifying a sexy man, this would be my definition of one.

Now, it's not as if I have anything against Justin Bieber, in fact, I happen to like him. Not his music, though; I don't much like pop music. Nor do I like his personality; I've seen some of his interviews on talk shows and he comes off as a narcissistic &$$. Actually, I don't much care for his personal style, either. I mean, he usually appears in white pants, a purple shirt, and a white hoodie all year round. Really Justin, white.........EVEN AFTER LABOR DAY?

Wait. Should I have spelled that Labour Day? Meh...whatever...

No, I like him because he is doing what he enjoys doing, he's putting himself out there, and creating a buzz. Generally, the teens stars/singers that create a buzz are the ones being thrown at us via the Disney Machine; and though he is backed by Usher, the circumstances are not the same. He has no television show, the millions of dollars in advertisements, etc. that the Disney stars get; he's simply doing it on his own, and letting his personality talk for him. And you have to like him for that.

So maybe I shouldn't be that surprised that he was ranked 7th in the world for sexiest man. He's got his audience and charisma. Besides, there is nothing wrong with looking at a younger person. It's when people are peeking in his windows at night that things get scary.