Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Randomness

I have had several ideas for posts the last week or so and even two ideas for short stories. For some reason, though, I have been unable to gather my thoughts, or perhaps my energy/strength, to sit down at my computer and type out my ideas.

So, instead of putting up the actual posts, I will put up the outlines of the posts instead. As you read through them, imagine that I am being witty and interesting.


*****

1.  I bought the DVD to Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp a few weeks back, and I loved it!  Of course, truth be told, I don't think I can recall a Johnny Depp film that I've disliked. His interpretation of the Mad Hatter was really fun, and Helena Bonham Cater's Red Queen was great. The idea that Alice is a warrior destined to save Wonderland was certainly  different take on the original tale, and the battle scene of armored Alice versus the Jabberwocky was well done. The only complaint I have is Crispin Glover as the Red Queen's guard captain. All I could envision was him as the uber nerd George McFly from Back to the Future. I simply could not take him seriously as a villain. My post plan here was to discuss my childhood obsession with Disney cartoons. And perhaps my secret crushes on the animated male heroes. On second thought, perhaps I should save that for my therapist. ;)





2.  In case you have not noticed on the sidebar, my new guilty pleasure is Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. The books are set in a world where vampires, werewolves, witches, and fairies exist alongside human beings. Sookie is a waitress in a small Louisiana bar, is 1/8 fairy, and has the ability to read minds. As the books move along, Sookie has relationships with vampires and a werewolf. She becomes important to the vampires due to her mind reading ability and so, gets dragged into plot after plot. In this way, she becomes involved in murders, bombings, hiding bodies, wars, etc. To be honest, the story lines have become very convoluted and over the top. I recently became aware that there is an HBO series called True Blood that is based upon the novels. I don't have any premium channels, but have watched many episodes online. The books and series are clearly made for a female audience, so I am not sure why I like them. Except for the fact that I am gay....lol! Anyway, I had meant to put up several photos of the (handsome) actors, but after finding this one, I just pooped out and wasn't up to finding anymore. I've held out for 4 days already, trying to gather the gumption to look around for more pictures, but I just can't. So, enjoy this one at least.


3.  I have been somewhat not myself lately, as I believe I've commented. Apparently the people around me have noticed as well. Well, my godson, who I pretty much raised since he was 3, must have noticed because he surprised me with a gift a few weeks back. My intention was to post about it immediately, but ..... you know. Anyway, he surprised my with the one thing that was guaranteed to cheer me up..a new electronic device! He works for Radio Shack part time since he is still attending college and was able to get me an iPhone 4 on the day of their release. Yea Me! The plan was to post a couple of pictures of my hand holding the phone in silly situations, kind of in a Thing sort of vibe, and talk about my favorite 5 apps. Meh.


4. The final two post ideas are really more short story ideas. The first idea features a spider that is actually a spy. I figured that could be fun. And the other idea is a Dr Mandragora/Greek mythology story where he meets the hero Theseus. I even found this cool picture to illustrate the tale. Of course, I suppose I still could, if I can gather all of my loose threads together.



Oh, and by the way, I received a letter in the mail. My new date is October 11, so, another countdown is underway. Lovely...