Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

My blog will be on hiatus for a bit, perhaps permanently.

As I have indicated in past posts, once upon a time, I was a professional who had a good reputation in my community. I helped children and their families. I was even awarded a prize by the state for the good job I was doing. Then, a family from Mexico, who I had been helping by mentoring the older boys and by helping buy clothes for on occasion, decided to accused me of fairly heinous crimes after I stopped helping them, crimes that cost me my job, my home, my possessions, and about 90% of my freedom.

Well, two and a half years later, the district attorney has finally decided to let me have my say in court. That's a good thing. Or so I thought.

I met with my two (expensive) attorneys today and they made me aware that, during this two year wait, the DA has manipulated charges, witnesses, etc. so that more charges have been added and stacked on one another. This means that if I am found guilty of the one main charge, the sentences for the others will be automatically be applied and stacked.  The bottom line, if I demand a trial, as I had planned to, and lose the case, I will get 90 years in prison. And the original charge, which was weak and nonsensical, has now been strengthened with the DA's tricks.

My judge, in addition, is well known for doing things, handing down punishments, etc. to help her look good in the media. And I am sure she would deny it if asked, but my lawyers told me she flat out told them that she was going to make sure she looked like a hero in the media on my case. This tells me that I have no hope of a fair trial, or of a punishment that actually fits the alleged crime.

So, my attorneys are recommending I plead guilty and try to cop a plea deal of 10 years. In their defense, they do believe in me, but are trying to create a situation where I will have a life after the trial. They really do have my interests in mind. They know full well that, no matter the truth, I am going to be roasted over the coals. It just irks me to plead guilty to horrendous crimes.

My problem is this: I don't want to admit to things I didn't do. But if I stand my ground and go to court, a slick DA will paint me as a monster, lay on suggestions and innuendo, and probably sway a jury to finding me guilty. This means the rest of my life will be spent behind bars. End of story. Finito.

It's a gamble. Stand my ground and risk losing it all. Or swallowing my pride and accept a "token"punishment to appease the pitchfork carrying mob?

At this point, my mind is swimming. A year ago, I was expecting someone to call me and let me know that someone finally realized the Mexican family was full of bullshit and that they were sorry for any inconvenience I experienced. But now, I cannot believe that out justice system is so warped and unjust that citizens are forced to accept punishments as sacrifices to the politically influenced judges.

So, my mind really is just in a fog; there is no way I can focus on this blog.

There is a small chance that I will not go to court next Monday because the DA is talking about postponing AGAIN until July, but I don't know if that is happening. But just so you guys know, if I never post here again, you know the worst has transpired and I have been sacrificed to the alter of bullshit. There is a part of me that REALLY wants to post the name and a photo of the family accusing me.  I have to deal with the public humiliation while they get to say whatever they want under the guise of privacy, and that seems like bullshit to me. Keep an eye out here' I just may.

There is no justice left in the justice system, my friends, please remember that. Whatever we teach our children about truth and justice is all bullshit. It's about political expediency and who you know.

Unless God blesses me with a miracle, I doubt I will be back here, so let me just say thanks for amusing me here with my silly blog, thanks for your comments.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.