Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Butterfly Collection

When I was in high school, I took Honors Biology as a freshman. Now, though I had always done well in school, I struggled with that class, and I attribute my difficulties to the fact that I disliked the teacher. Well to be perfectly honest, I hated her. Her name was Mrs. Rainwater. She was rude and condescending to us all, had no patience, would snap at the class, and wore glasses that were so big, the outside of the rims extended past the edge of her face.

Now, back then, I used to get along with everyone. I was friends with the skaters, the football guys, the cheerleaders, the band geeks, and the theater kids. I also was liked by all of the teachers, except for the Rainwater. She and I butted heads a few times. Once was when I spoke out in class when she was harassing another student.  (Not all of the bullies in school are kids.) Another time was when I refused to participate in the dissection of a cat. She got in my face and said if I didn't participate, I would fail the six week period. I didn't budge, and my good relationship with the principals made sure I didn't fail either.

Well, as part of our end of year project, we were supposed to build two collections. One was a wildflowers of Texas collection and the other was a butterfly collection. I embraced the wildflower project and refused to kill butterflies for a grade.

She didn't even bother to challenge me.









All images found at billtphotoman's photostream