Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Bruschetta with Fresh Tomatoes and Mozzarella

Ingredients

6-7 fresh Roma tomatoes
3 rounds of fresh mozzarella
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon capers, roughly chopped
several basil leaves, shredded
olive oil, about 1/3 cup
balsamic vinegar, about 2 teaspoons
salt
pepper

10 slices of crusty bread (Italian, Ciabatta)
olive oil


Directions

1. Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds. Then, chop the tomatoes into small cubes.

2. Chop the mozzarella into cubes the same size as the tomatoes and add them to the tomatoes.

3. Add the minced garlic, capers, and basil to the tomatoes and mix.

4. Add in the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

5. Add salt and pepper to taste.

6. Refrigerate the tomato mixture for at least 30 minutes.

7. In the meantime, brush the bread slices with olive oil and place on a hot grill or under a broil until toasty.

7. Spoon the cold tomato mixture onto the hot bread and enjoy.

As always, if anyone tries this recipe, please let me know what you think.

This recipe was tweaked from a recipe I found in a cookbook by Biba Caggiano. I got to meet her and taste her cooking at  a meet and greet I attended years ago. As a gift, we all got autographed Biba cookbooks. Yay!


*************

As an aside, you will notice that I have added some links within some of my posts pointing you to Amazon. I just read an article that said Walmart is making improvements to its website and pushing walmart dot com in an attempt to cut into Amazon's business. I personally do not shop at Walmart and do not like their business practices. And so, I have decided to add a link to Amazon whenever there is a product or such that they have that I happen to be talking about.

I doubt seriously if my efforts are going to bring much extra business to Amazon, but I refuse to sit here and just watch Walmart take on another smaller company.