Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rocky Horror

I don't generally watch the television program Glee for more reasons than I care to list and you care to listen to. However, I did make plans to watch it this evening when I learned that they would be doing a version of Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I happen to love Rocky Horror Picture Show.

In fact, I eve remember the first time I watched RHPS: I was a freshman in high school. My family owned 2 riding horses back then and we made friends with a family who stabled their horses at the same ranch we did. Their oldest son and I got along very well and he would invite me to the movies every Friday evening. One of those evenings, we went to the midnight showing of Rocky Horror. I had never heard of it, so was not prepared for what it was.

We walked in to a theater that had almost no seats left, it was so full. And there were people in costumes, for goodness sakes. Costumes! My first thought was that these people were freaks. As the movie began and people began to stand up and reenact scenes on the screen there in the aisles, I realized I was absolutely correct. Rolls of toilet paper flew through the air, water pistols were fired into the air during a rain storm, and the entire audience was supplying dialogue that was far more entertaining than what was on the screen.

There was a transvestite Frankenfurter in fishnet hose, Brad running around in his tighty whities, and a very sexy monster in tiny gold shorts.

In short, the 13 year old me thought the whole experience was AMAZING!

So, when I heard that Glee was doing Rocky Horror, I just had to peek in.

And I have to say, the show did a great job of putting a contemporary spin on the characters and the numbers. The blonde guy who they had as the monster in the tiny gold shorts was handsome, but there is no way he passes as a high schooler. Well actually, none of the main characters remotely look like they belong in high school, but I think that was a good thing. I would have felt like a perv checking out blondie in gold otherwise. Lol! And speaking of, I got the feeling that the blonde guy in the gold shorts was put on the show as eye candy because he kept showing off his very fit body in the majority of his scenes. Though I could be wrong.

John Stamos sans big hair and leather jacket
But the surprise for me was the cameo by John Stamos. The last I saw of him was in his days in the goofy show Full House. I recall him wearing tight pants, a leather jacket, and having big hair. And I really disliked him. I thought he was annoying, not good looking, and a terrible actor.

But tonight, I thought he did a great job as some red-haired teacher's boyfriend. He performed Eddie's (Meatloaf's) Hot Patootie number and sounded great. AND..he has gotten very handsome as he has gotten older. In a word, WOW!