Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Daymare

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned, but I have a host of sleeping issues brought on, I suspect, by worry and stress. I have extreme difficulty falling asleep. I wake up a dozen times over the night. My lack of sleep means I am tired during the day, but I don't dare nap. Any sleeping during the day leads to terrible dreams that leave my heart pounding and me gasping for air as I wake up.

Unfortunately, as I was reading this afternoon and trying to finish my book (which is taking me an unusually long time to finish), I fell asleep.

Now, I would have expected the usual terrible dreams, which I will not detail here on the blog, but they didn't come. Instead, it was a weird mishmash of images and story that were my most recently in my head. I find that specifics of the dream are becoming foggy, but I thought I'd relate what I remember anyway.
*************
I was outside a building that remarkably resembled a Spanish-styled museum that I've visited several times in real life. I was standing in the courtyard and looking around at the many archways that framed the doorways leading inside. There was a large tree in the center of the yard and concrete pathways laid around the perimeter. I was dressed in an odd ensemble of a black suit, an opera cloak, and a walking stick. 

The next thing I remember, I am walking through a narrow corridor. To either side of me are small rooms that appear to be shops. Some are selling prepared foods, others are selling books, and the one that catches my eye is a music shop. Strewn around the corridor are strings of colorful paper cutouts that flapped in the air conditioned air.

I walk into the music shop and begin to browse at the various instruments that are on display. In another corner of the store, I spy a small of group of people gathered around looking at someone playing a harpsichord, though it could have been a small piano.

Suddenly, there is a commotion in the hallway and people begin yelling and running past the shop. Dangerous and destructive djinn are rampaging through the building, killing people at random. One of them enters the music shop and looks around, spotting the group of people in the corner. It begins to move towards them and I realize that almost everyone in the group are teenagers. I take something out of my pocket and fire it at the djinn, causing it to dematerialize.

An older man dressed in pants, a white shirt, and a vest runs up to me and tells me I need to protect one of the teens and get him out of the building. He reaches behind him and yanks a smiling teen towards me. I recognize him as (and nobody laugh!!) that kid singer, Justin Bieber. (I know, I know, what the Hell? I blame the article I had just read about Bieber having a new line of fingernail polish
coming out soon.)

There is another scene shift and I find myself crawling through small tunnels that riddle the walls in the building I am in. Following along behind me is someone that I am supposed to be protecting, but it is now someone I don't recognize. The tunnels open up into the courtyard with the large tree. There are other people sheltering there, though I don't see how an open courtyard offers any protection whatsoever.

At this point, the dream breaks down, but I do remember being attacked by unpleasant looking djinn, using some sort of power/ability to defend myself and the guy who is still with me.
*************
I woke up rather confused and rattled, though not because the last images were horrific and terrible, as they usually are, but because my coming awake was very sudden. It was like being splashed with cold water.

Edit: 
I just read through my description of the dream and realize I did a really poor job of capturing it; I think I waited too long to write it up. I seriously considered deleting the whole thing, but meh...