Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

If You Don't Know Where You Came From...

...You Can't know Where You Are Going


First off, let me post a disclaimer. Ive had an entire bottle of cheap wine already, so this post may make no sense.

A couple of days ago, my evil older sister emailed my mom to let her know she had visited my mom's cousin and scanned some family photos. My sister managed to find some photos that none of us were aware even existed. These photos are in the possession of my great aunt Mary, who will be turning 94 this year. My great aunt has had senior dementia for the last decade or so and has no idea who any of us are at this point, including her own children. Anyway, why my vulture of a sister went over is unknown to me, and I can only guess at her reasons, she did find many interesting photos. I thought I'd share one with the readers of my blog.

This photo shows my great grandfather and great grandmother and their five children. My grandmother is the second from the right and was 18 years old when the picture was shot. Today she is 89 years old, just to give you some perspective.

Out of everyone in the photo, only my grandmother and my Aunt Mary (second from the left) are left alive, and as I said, my great Aunt Mary has no idea what is going on anymore. So really, only my grandmother is still aware and active.

My great grandmother, in the front row, was half Hispaniola (her dad was from Spain) and half Cherokee Indian. My grandmother has always joked that my temper comes from her, since the Cherokee were some of the most vicious Indians ever. I am generally very calm and diplomatic, but when my temper flares, it is very ugly to watch, and I am never really sure what I am going to do.

For some reason, this picture has stirred within me some very powerful emotions. Thinking about what they all accomplished with limited schooling and limited money makes me feel small and very much a failure, especially in light of my current legal difficulties and, let's be honest, ignominy. Still, I hope to be able to shrug all of the problems off soon and resume my life. And perhaps I can still make them proud.