Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reality Therapy Thursday

I like how, in contemporary culture, everyone is told that they are great. Schools no longer hold competitions because someone is going to get their feelings hurt. No longer are ribbons passed out for first, second, and third places in Field Day events; rather, everyone gets a Participation ribbon. Why, you may ask? Because everyone is a winner!

Here's a news flash for those people who don't want to hurt others' feelings: not everyone is a winner. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and more often than not, the guy who won this time is going to be the guy who wins over and over again. And do you know why? Because he is better than you.

Yes, that is right, there are people with more skill, more intelligence, more speed, and more friends than you. When I was a child and my school had Field Day, I held no delusions that I would win anything. I was the one never picked for teams because I sucked (and still suck) at sports. I didn't whine over that fact. In fact, I tended to play under the trees in the sand by myself when the other boys were playing football, baseball, etc. in teams. That didn't bother me any. There were boys who were stronger and faster than me, and I could not compete. I knew my strengths and athleticism was not one.

I also happened to be the one who could read at a high school level when I was still in third grade. So, when it came time for group work, everyone wanted to be in my group. I was the popular one then, and I was ok with that. And if I was given the chance to choose who would work with me, who do you think I chose? If you guessed the other kids who weren't chosen for teams or who weren't the popular ones, then you are clearly living in a dream world. I chose the popular kids, the cute guys who were good at sports, and my best friend. Come on, people, that's life.

Society today wants everyone to feel valued at everything and all the time, and so we get no one identified as a winner in Field Day events, or spelling bees, or art contests. It's not that no one won, it's that everyone won! Ribbons for everybody! Yay!

And so we have a society that thinks they are entitled to everything. Why did he get his requested days off when I didn't? Why did she get the promotion, I am just as good a worker as she is! I never get the breaks, it must be because the man is keeping me down.

No.

The bottom line: some people have more skill than you. Some people are smarter than you. Some people are valued more than you. Some people are just more likable than you. Suck it up and stop whining.

If at first you don't succeed, then try again. And if you keep not succeeding....get used to it. That just may be your style.