Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Update on Stuff

Well, I wasn't able to make my appointment yesterday (Monday). It wasn't my choice, of course. In the interest of brevity and the fact that I try not to put to many specifics, I wasn't clear on what the problem was that was keeping me from going. It wasn't because of a lack of transportation or anything as mundane as that.

To be succinct, whenever I want to leave the house to do something, I have to let a court liaison know first. I let her know where I need to go, she verifies if she wishes to, and then logs it in. They have no power to deny me the right to leave for work (if I had a job), go to the doctor, meet with lawyers, etc etc. Well, my new liaison is something of a...what is the word...little person with a little power who wields it like a sword. When I told her I needed to leave town for a meeting, she blew me off saying she had meetings to attend and would get back to me that afternoon (Thursday). All Thursday went by, no call back. I called her again Friday, waited all day, no call back. I called her at 8:00 am Monday, no answer, no call back.

So, I informed my lawyers. They both called her. I am not privy to what their conversations were, but she called me this morning sounding very very polite, which is atypical of her, and said she didn't know why I had informed my lawyers that she had not allowed me to go, that she had already logged in my trip. I felt like screaming, "LIIIIIIIEEEEEEEESSSSS!" into the phone, but I didn't. So, the short of it: I have been "allowed" time tomorrow, Wednesday, to go to a nearby city and speak to someone who can help me with my defense.

I also spoke to the lawyers today. One said he has hired a private investigator, though I really don't know what he is going to be doing, and I didn't ask. Oh, and when I say "he" hired a PI, I mean he contacted him but I'll have to foot the bill, which should be about $1,000 in addition to the $50,000 I already paid the lawyers. Justice, ladies and gentlemen, is apparently blind and not cheap. The other one said that they would all be "humping my case like crazy" the next couple of weeks to get ready for my January 24th court date. I think I know what he meant by that comment, but I chose not to ask about that one either.

I am growing rather more frantic and insane as each day passes. I still am having a very hard time envisioning anything other than a terrible outcome from this, but I am trying to keep it together.

Thanks to Seth and Jay for the comments on the last update. And thanks to Micky as well for almost always replying to my posts even though I don't reciprocate as often as I should. Thanks guys. It's too bad I can't get you to speak on my behalf in court. :/