Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Story That Never Was

I was going through my image folders, specifically the one titled Fantasy Art, this morning in search of something to illustrate the short story I am working on and, as per usual, was trapped in a maze of pictures. You see, I have a bad habit of opening each image to look at it before moving on to the next one.

It doesn't matter that I can see what the image is from the thumbnail. It doesn't matter that I can tell at a glance that the image is not appropriate for my current tale. It doesn't matter that I have a few hundred images to go through, and it most certainly doesn't matter that I've seen them all a dozen times over.

The bottom line is that I like fantasy art, alternative art, drawings and paintings of almost any kind. I think it's because I cannot draw to save my life. No, I'm serious. Even my stick figures look like something a four year old would produce. And since I cannot draw, I am captivated by those who can and by the beautiful images they call forth from a blank canvas.

So, there I sat, admiring each image for a few minutes before moving on to the next one, when lo and behold, a picture came up on my screen that I was not expecting. I believe I've mentioned already that I've deleted all of my male pictures, have I not? The last thing I was expecting to see, then, was a sexy picture on my screen. And yet, there one was, bold as an erection, staring me in the face.


My eyes immediately went to a certain area of the picture that, given my predilection for a nice rear end, is painfully obvious. I actually remembered saving that particular images weeks ago. I was considering using it for a post about Death's day off; I thought it would be interesting to see what Death would do should he have the opportunity to enjoy a day in the world. WOuld he go to the movies? Would he take up boxing? Would he fall in love? Fully intending to explore those ideas in a tale, I saved the photo and so placed it in my Fantasy Art folder rather than my Eye Candy folder, which is why it survived The Great Picture Purge of '09.

Well now, a conundrum. What to do with the photo? I've lost some of the threads of ideas which were the nebulous beginnings of a story. I no longer think that it fits in the Fantasy Art folder and there is no more Eye Candy folder for it to take refuge in. I didn't want to just delete it outright.

And so, I decided to make a final male picture post, a post created for the sole purpose of showing a beautiful guy to the world. Of course, this entry has grown so long, I'm not sure that it qualifies any longer as one of my Gratuitous Cute Guy posts, so instead it shall be called The Story That Never Was.

Yes, I like that.