Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Blogs and Blog Links


To those of you who run blogs of your own, I am curious. How do you decide what blogs to put links to on your home page?

As with most of you, I subscribe to multiple blogs but don't put links to them all on my blog roll. For the vast majority, I receive their RSS feeds and read what they have to say, oftentimes commenting on something in particular that I liked, or found interesting, or drooled over. But there are only a few that I have links to, and those links are constantly changing.

Just today, in fact, I deleted a link to a certain blog that I am growing increasingly frustrated with. The author of the blog never has anything positive to say about his life, his circumstances, or himself. I have a left a few comments in the past in encouragement, but all I have seen posted for weeks are "Poor Me" posts and pity party moments. It's all about how he hates himself, how he knows that everyone around him makes fun of him, and how he is an ass to everyone and then feels bad about it. Now, I realize we all blog for different reasons and for different audiences, and if this person wants to fill his corner of the interwebz with this sort of stuff, I am not going to gainsay him. But I'm not going to continue to read about it either.

We all go through dark patches, unless your name is Polly Anna, and I recognize that people need to vent at times. And your blog is your blog to write whatever you so wish. But my life has enough dark places in it that I don't need the self-indulgent of the world making my corner that much darker. So, a quick edit, delete, and save, and the blog roll is minus one entry.

Here recently there was a blog I looked into that I found particularly obnoxious and was prepared to fire off a lecture about appreciating what your family does for you and explaining that the world owes each of us nothing. We make of our situations what we choose to. But then, I decided against it. Who am I to level rants against strangers? And there was also an element of "Who really cares" in my decision as well. Needless to say, I didn't subscribe.

As I look at the blogs that are still posted in my blogroll, I find that some of them are there because I like the people who run them. Some are there because I like what they have to say, though I don't know the authors all that well. A couple are there just because I find them funny. But there really is no rule or rubric which determines what I put up there. They are just a collection of things I like that don't really relate to one another.

I guess that's why this place is called Sine Logicum, without logic. It describes my posts, my blogroll, and myself. Isn't that convenient?