Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Return of the Pumpkin Muffins

Jay from Jay in VA asked if I would put up the recipe for the pumpkin muffins I made the other day. Of course I said yes! The problem is that I tend to fiddle with recipes because that is my nature. I find that I don't like following people's directions, be it in the way I live my life, the rules I live by, of the way I make pumpkin muffins. This means I can't always recreate things precisely from batch to batch.

Yes, I made more muffins. Again. As if my belt isn't already on its last notch.
Love it or leave it, bitches. It's how I roll. (I don't know where that came from.)

Now, you should also know that I love making things from scratch; I just think food tastes better when made with real ingredients rather than with processed stuff. However, as I was looking around for a pumpkin muffin recipe, I stumbled across this one that uses a boxed cake. It looked interesting so  tried it.

So, anyways, I will put up the original recipe I found on the internet and then I will tell you what I did.

Original Recipe
1 18.25oz packaged yellow cake mix
1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground clove

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove until smooth. Spoon equal measures of batter into the 12 muffin cups.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

No matter what the cake mix requires in terms of eggs, oil, butter, or water, you don't put any of that in. All of the moisture comes from the pumpkin. Exactly..what the hell sense does that make? So, this is what I put in.

1 yellow cake mix
1 cap pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 cup water

1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground clove
1 cup pecan pieces

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pumpkin puree, egg, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and pecans until smooth. Spoon equal measures of batter into the 12 muffin cups.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Please feel free to use the original recipe. It won't hurt my feelings.