Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Crackers

On a bit of a lark, I purchased 12 authentic(?) English Christmas Crackers from Williams Sonoma. I've heard them mentioned on a couple of shows I watch on BBC America, and I remember there being a reference to them in one of the Harry Potter novels, but I've never actually seen one. So, when I remembered that Williams Sonoma carries them, I decided to use some of my remaining money to get some as a treat for my family.

To be honest, I don't even know what I am supposed to do with them. American "crackers" are lit with a fuse, but I'm fairly certain these are supposed to be pulled apart. According to the bastion of knowledge, Wikipedia, the original Christmas Crackers were made to "snap" and contained an almond. Yeah, I know, that sounds pretty sucky. There had best not be a stale and sour nut in these crackers, that's all I'm saying. Lord knows there is going to be enough "nuts" here at Christmas, if you know what I mean. In the Harry Potter story, their Christmas Crackers exploded with sparks and glitter and dropped a fun hat the characters then got to wear. Something tells me that I won't be getting a big Santa hat out of this particular batch.

Well, a rancid drupe, a flashy hat, or anything in between, the fun will be in experiencing something new. Besides, if Christmas Crackers are good enough for Gordon Ramsay's holiday celebration, they can't be all bad.