Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Update for Thursday

Ok guys, I'm in a pretty bad mood at the moment, so I am going to give a bare bones report.

I had a hearing today where many things happened, and most of the time I had no clue what the hell was going on.  Apparently, my two lawyers filed several motions seeking to narrow what they would be dealing with. The judge granted almost every single one the motions, so the lawyers were happy.

Next is jury selection on Tuesday the 25th, then the trial begins on Wednesday. The lawyers expect it to wrap up the following Tuesday.

Clearly, I can't go into details of what all the DA is going to throw at me, but my lawyers are concerned that it is going to be a hard fight, and to be honest, I realized today, as I sat there being glared at by the judge, by the court clerk, by the newly minted young lawyers who went to observe and pick up pointers, that I don't have it in me to do this. I just don't.

Tomorrow morning, I am instructing my lawyers to discuss the possibility of a plea deal with the DA. If they offer a number that wouldn't amount to a death sentence, I am going to take it.

You see, the crime I am charged with carries a 5-99 year sentence. If I lose, the DA will most assuredly ask for the 99 to "send a message". I am not a gambler. My lawyers are very good, but they have their concerns. And I really am just drained.

Now, the DA may not accept a plea deal anyway. As I've mentioned, the younger lawyer is chomping at the bit to try my case. She has never tried a big "splashed across the news" case like mine, so she may not even entertain the notion, or offer a ridiculous number so that I would have no choice but to refuse. In that case, we'll be off to trial.

When I hear something next, I'll let you guys know.